Scholarships are an excellent resource for reducing tuition costs. Save your time and money with SCC's scholarship opportunities.
Every student should apply for scholarships.
With a little research you'll find that there are scholarship opportunities for practically everyone. But where do you begin? To help you get started, here's a list of scholarship resources.
A little preparation goes a long way when applying for (and receiving) scholarships. Many scholarships require similar types of applications and materials, such as:
- A completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- An essay describing your experiences, achievements, and why you should be considered for the scholarship.
- A list of references or reference letters, complete with contact information.
- Copies of your high school transcript & any past college transcripts.
When completing scholarship applications, remember to fill out as much information as you can as accurately as possible.
Click here for more tips on finding and applying for scholarships.
SCC Foundation & SCC Alumni Association scholarships
The SCC Foundation and SCC Alumni Association (SCCAA) award over $250,000 in scholarships to hundreds of SCC students every year.
Foundation scholarships are awarded to incoming and current degree-seeking SCC students. Learn more about Foundation scholarships.
Alumni scholarships are awarded by the SCC Alumni Association to graduating SCC students who plan to continue their education after leaving SCC. Learn more about SCCAA scholarships.
The SCC Foundation and SCC Alumni Association do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability.
Periodically, SCC's Financial Aid Office is notified of scholarships offered through third party donors such as civic organizations, churches, professional groups, and social clubs. These can vary greatly depending on the time of year. Check back often to keep up to date on the most recent scholarships.
Keep in mind that deadlines and eligibility requirements for each scholarship are not determined by SCC. Students will not be allowed to utilize scholarship funds to pay for tuition and books until the funds have been delivered to SCC by the scholarship donor. Simply providing an award notification to SCC is not enough; the scholarship funds must also be provided.
Online Scholarship Databases
Below are links to sites that focus exclusively on helping students find and apply for scholarships. Many of these databases will return scholarship information tailored to you. These websites are free. Remember that no scholarship application should ask you for your social security number. Rule of thumb: if you're not comfortable sharing certain information about yourself, don't do it.
- FastWeb is the most complete source of local scholarships, national scholarships and college-specific scholarships.
- Scholarships.com provides instant and unlimited free access to an extensive list of college scholarship and grant opportunities customized just for you.
- www.studentscholarships.org allows registered users to be matched with Scholarships, Bursaries, and Grants, that fit their profile. To access their Free Scholarship Database, simply create your own profile.
- College Board's scholarship search will take answers you give in a brief questionnaire and use them to find scholarship opportunities. College Board has a database of more than 2,300 sources of college funding, totaling nearly $3 billion in available aid.
- IHaveaPlanIowa lets you search for scholarships, careers and colleges. The Scholarship Finder has several questions that will connect you to a personalized list of scholarships and financial aid. You can save your list in an online account.
- ICAN's database of scholarships, specifically for Iowa students is compiled by the experts at Iowa College Access Network. You may search in several categories and subcategories to find scholarship opportunities for Iowa students like you.
Need help? Contact us.
Julie Glasgow SCC Foundation Office Secretary
P.O. Box 180 1500 West Agency West Burlington, IA 52655-0180
(319) 208-5062 firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box 180
P.O. Box 180