Tips for Parents

What does it cost and how do I pay for it?
SCC is one of the most economical colleges in Iowa. Beyond our already-low tuition, financial aid is available in the form of scholarships, loans, grants, and federal work-study. Payment arrangements must be made prior to registration.

Will my courses transfer?
Southeastern Community College is a great place to start your education. If you're planning on earning a bachelor's degree, you can take your general education requirement classes at SCC before transferring to a four-year college or university. (Usually, this will mean earning your associate of arts degree at Southeastern before transferring. SCC also has several articulation agreements for some of our associate of science and associate in applied science career programs. Common course numbering makes transferring easy.)

What help is available to my student after they enroll?
Numerous services are available to help students once they arrive on campus. Free tutoring and accommodations for students with special needs are available through the Success Center.Technology and technology support are available on all campuses. Computer labs are available for student use Monday through Friday at all campuses and on Saturday mornings at the West Burlington campus. Student safety is provided by security services.

What if my student doesn't know exactly what they want to do?
SCC offers more than 30 career programs and college transfer options. Our Career Services page also provides resources for students to discover their skills and passions. Then they can help them see what kind of classes they need to take to make it there. Enrollment Services Specialists can also help.

What do students need to do prior to starting classes at SCC?
Students will need to complete the Compass Test if they have not taken the ACT previously, schedule to attend an orientation and set up an appointment with an enrollment services specialist to plan a schedule. Click here to learn more about the pre-registration process.

What if my student wants to start classes while in high school?
Students should be encouraged to take challenging classes in high school and to take Jumpstart classes when possible. They should complete an application for Jumpstart and make arrangements to have a final high school transcript sent to SCC.

What services are available to help students find jobs?
SCC maintains a student job bank with participating employers. Recruiters from businesses, industries, and professions often share job openings with various faculty and Career Services. Students can also get help with job-seeking strategies, resume writing and job interview preparation. Current job listings are posted on the Placement Bulletin Boards at both the West Burlington and Keokuk campuses.

What is FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) and what does it mean for parents?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law that protects the privacy of student records. This would make it illegal for SCC to provide private information concerning students to anyone including the parents. Students may waive this right and make information available by completing a form in the Enrollment Services Office.
To complete the Parental Access Form, click here.

If you're looking for more information, contact any of our Enrollment Specialists.