Tuesday, June 14, 2011 – 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Southeastern Community College West Burlington Board Room

Video Conference with Keokuk Campus


Present:  Beverly Simone, Bill Meck, Chris Sedlack, Chuck Chrisman, Jan Wolbers, Jeff Ebbing, Joan Williams, Mary Saxton, Michelle Foster, Phil Thomas, Sherry Zeller, Recording Secretary Debbie Smith.  Absent:  Barb Altheide, Becky Rump, Dana Chrisman, Debbie Dowell, Kim Tracy, Lori Henderson.


I.                   Approval of Agenda:

Joan Williams moved to approve the agenda.  Jeff Ebbing seconded the motion and it passed with all members present recorded as voting aye.

II.                Review of Administrative Guideline #809 – Guidelines for Utilization and Scheduling of SCC and CCFSA Facilities:

Proposed revisions to Administrative Guideline 809, Guidelines for Utilization and Scheduling of SCC and CCFSA Facilities, were sent to Cabinet members in advance of the meeting.  Bill Meck explained this guideline was previously for use of CCFSA facilities and is now proposed to also include use of SCC facilities.  Portions of other administrative guidelines are incorporated into this guideline.  It is proposed that the CCFSA fee charges be removed from this guideline and maintained separately.  Bill Meck moved Administrative Guideline #809, Guidelines for Utilization and Scheduling of SCC and CCFSA Facilities, be approved as presented.  Sherry Zeller seconded the motion and it passed with all members present recorded as voting aye.

III.             Legislative Update:

Regarding our budget, Dr. Simone reported the Board of Trustees approved a tuition increase of $9 per credit hour for FY 12.  Two dollars of the $9 increase is earmarked for strategic initiatives in FY 12 and FY 13.  The Enrollment Management Plan and the first year initiatives are at the top of the list.  The Facilities Plan is due to the Board in December but it cannot be completed until programming is set.    The Strategic Plan will be reviewed at the next Cabinet meeting.  The Board feels we need new instructional programs to attract students.  They are concerned about the relevance of some of our current programming.  They are pleased that we have 18-20 registered students for the new Animation Program.  It is a unique program that will be the only two year program in Iowa.  The funding formula was discussed at the Presidents’ meeting.  The group is trying to get more money in state aid into the system.

IV.             Round Table:

Bill Meck:  Updated 2011-2012 Service Charges and Fees were approved by the Board.  The operating budget was submitted to the Board in summary form.  Bill is working on a detailed version of it to be printed.

The Board approved Ament Engineers for the West Burlington Entrance Roadway Project.   The project will provide a west entrance to the college via Highway 406.  It will be used for direct access to the fairgrounds and the truck training area.  The ACE building project is on schedule.  Work will be substantially complete by the end of June.  Furniture and some equipment have been ordered.

Jeff Ebbing:  The Vision will be sent out in a couple of weeks.  Jeff is also putting together the on-line version.  Information regarding the new Animation Program and STEM Program is being sent to high school counselors and teachers. 

The 16th Annual Alumni Golf Outing will be held July 15th at Sheaffer Golf Course in Ft. Madison. 

The Evening Receptionist position has not been filled.  There are some details that will still need to be worked out before fall semester. 

Chuck Chrisman:  Hewlett-Packard won the annual computer bid.  Laptop prices continue to decrease.  Chuck has been working on the Animation equipment order.  The labs are transitioning to Windows 7 and Office 2010.  Individual employee computers will be transitioned after the labs are completed.  IT has been working on tech request approvals to make sure everything is ready in mid-August for fall semester.

Jan Wolbers:  Monica Hinkle recently submitted the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnership (NACEP) accreditation application.  It will be a year before we get approval. 

There will be some training in July for Continuous Process Improvement.  A trainer will spend two days here for CPI training.  Our goal is to move the training more into departments. 

Beverly Simone:  There was an open house for the Regional Emergency Response Training Center in Ft. Madison.  It was well attended by representatives from fire departments throughout our region.  There were also several demonstrations of rescue training.  SCC has submitted for a grant from DuPont asking for $5,000 to be used towards the cost of a forcible entry door for the center.                                                                                                                       

At the last Presidents’ meeting, they learned that NACEP does not have the capacity to accredit all the community colleges in a timely manner.  Also at the Presidents’ meetings, two colleges for each meeting are asked to present their best practices.  Dr. Simone asked that everyone think of what we want to showcase and we will talk about it at the next Cabinet meeting. 

It was announced in April that SCC would have a meeting on June 23rd for companies involved in Precision Machining to find out their training needs.  A formal invitation was sent and only two people said they were coming.  Another letter is being sent today for a dinner meeting at 5:30 p.m. on June 23rd in the Little Theatre.

SCC will be involved in a project for Green Technologies.  It is a CPI circle with seven companies involved.  They are SCC, Winegard, Siemens, Matt’s Greenhouse, Iowa State Bank, Hope Haven, and the city of Burlington.  Chuck Chrisman is the lead person and will need to attend training sessions.  Paul Bennett and Lewis Worden are also involved.  We will need our own plan to create a green culture.  It will take time and dedication and we need people who are really interested and care about it to move us forward.

Judy Houseal’s IT position is not going to be filled.  Her duties are being reassigned.  The position of Emergency Response Coordinator has been filled by Tina Young.  The Coordinator of Health Careers Continuing Education position has been filled by Lisa Ryce. 

Michelle Foster:  The Board approved a 3% total package increase for both associations and a 3% increase for non-bargaining staff contracts.  The Part-time Hourly Salary Schedule was also approved.  All contracts were approved and will go out by next week.

Joan Williams:  Joan reported that 14 employees attended a customer service webinar called Front Line Staff Training.

Kari Bevans will replace Dana Chrisman on the Cabinet for FY 12.

Kent Harshbarger has retired and his responsibilities have been reassigned.  SCC will partner with WIA to provide career services.  Brenda Wilkins has been reassigned to Enrollment Specialist and she will no longer be the sole provider of career services.  The transition will be further defined in the next couple of months.  Until then, calls or questions can be routed to Joan and Julie Canfield. 

Mary Saxton:  On June 27th & 28th, there will be an accreditation visit for EMS.  There are only five programs in the state of Iowa that are accredited.

Mary will remain in her interim position for at least another sixty days.

Phil Thomas:  Interviews were held for the Dean of Health and Natural Sciences position and it was the committee’s recommendation that the group of candidates did not quite meet the qualifications.  Phil and Mary Saxton met with the nursing faculty to address any concerns. 

Case New Holland has contacted CBIZ for welding training.  CBIZ recently hired a new person to do the welding training.  He started June 6th.  Interviews are being held for the second training position for the manufacturing process area.

V.                SII Process (Strengths, Improvements, Insights):

A strength of today’s meeting is that we are done with reviewing Administrative Guidelines and the Systems Portfolio.

VI.             Development of Agenda for Next Meeting:

Agenda items for the next meeting include Strategic Initiatives Review, Best Practices to Showcase, and Strategic Plan Grid Review.  Additional items can be sent to Sherry Zeller.

VII.          Next Meeting:

The next meeting is July 12, 2011 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

VI.       Adjournment:

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.