Originally established as Burlington Junior College in 1920, SCC has provided quality education to students of all ages and backgrounds for over 50 years.
The Founding of SCC
In the spring of 1965, the General Assembly of Iowa provided for the establishment of area community colleges and vocational-technical schools, with the southeastern part of Iowa designated Merged Area XVI. Within this 3 1/2 county area, two public post-high school educational institutions existed: Burlington Junior College, founded in 1920, and Keokuk Community College, established in 1953. Both institutions were operated by local community school districts until July 1, 1967, at which time they became the North Campus (in West Burlington) and South Campus (in Keokuk) of Southeastern Community College.
In May 2000, SCC purchased the building at 127 North Main Street in Mount Pleasant for use as an SCC Center. After major renovation and new construction, the facility now provides five classrooms and three offices. The center renovation was paid for with ACE funds made possible through an educational agreement with the Mount Pleasant-based Heatilator Company. In February 2005, the Board of Trustees approved the trade of the Mt. Pleasant Center building to the City of Mt. Pleasant for its Public Libary building located at 200 North Main Street. Renovations were required to convert the library into an education facility. The new location provides double the square footage and lower utility costs than SCC's previous facility. The completed facility was ready for classes in October 2005.
In the summer of 2000, Southeastern Community College obtained an exclusive lease to a Fort Madison facility at 4703 Avenue L for use as an SCC Center in that community. Extensive remodeling during the summer months created four classrooms and office spaces for fall 2000 semester classes. In 2003, the SCC Board of Trustees approved the purchase of a facility at 1602 Avenue F, and authorized renovation work to convert the former church building into an educational facility. With 43350 square feet on the first floor and a fully-usable lower level, the new location provides double the square footage of SCC's previous leased facility. The completed facility was ready for classes in August 2003. Learn more about the history of SCC's campus centers here.
Nora Meirotto | Associate of Arts Transfer
After one semester at SCC, I loved it. It had the perfect ratio of students to teachers. They spend time getting to know you as a person.
Schedule a Visit
Come see us!Wondering if SCC is right for you? Check out our campus and learn more about life at SCC.
Want to know more about our programs or transfer options? Ask us. Or give us a call at 866-SCC-IOWA.