International Students

Welcome. Bienvenidos. Willkommen. Salaam. Bienvenue. Aloha. Shalom. Namaste. Dobrodošli.

Southeastern Community College is a great place for international students to study.

SCC offers a high quality, affordable college experience with a variety of courses and academic programs. There’s something for everyone! 

Located in southeast Iowa, SCC hosts international students from over 25 countries every year.


How do I apply to SCC?

International students complete a special application packet available from our International Program Office.

Request your International Student Application Packet:

Send an email to  to request an International Student Application Packet.

Please do NOT use the online application for admission.

Deadline for submission

All documents must be received by:

June 1: Fall Semester (August start)

November 1: Spring Semester (January start)

You will need to provide:

  1. Your completed International Student Application for Admission.
  2. Photocopy of your passport. Passport must be valid for six months after the proposed semester start date.    
  3. Official high school, GED and/or college transcripts translated into English from all schools attended.
  4. Completed copy of a Declaration of Finances, or Affidavit of Support if student’s parent/sponsor is U.S. Citizen, completed and signed by parent or sponsor.
  5. Campus Housing Contract.  All first-year students are encouraged and expected to live on campus.   

If you are transferring from another college from within the U.S., also include:

  • Current copy of your I-20
  • Photocopy of your student visa stamp for the current institution

Send admission packet documents by mail to:

International Program Office
Southeastern Community College
1500 West Agency Road
West Burlington, IA 52655

For information about obtaining a student visa, contact our International Program Office at

Costs & payment information

The following costs for admission fees, tuition, fees, and books are approximate, and are subject to change each year. There may be additional supply/equipment/lab expenses for students enrolled in certain programs or courses. International students must pay the international rate for tuition and fees.​

See the chart below for an estimated breakdown of tuition and other costs of attendance at SCC*:

Tuition and fees
(one semesters at 15 credit hours)
Books and supplies $400
Food and housing
(19 meals per week)
Personal expenses $1,500
Travel (1 round trip) $1,500
Total (one semester) $11,625
Total (two semesters) $23,250

* Prices are subject to change. Costs to attend is based on International Student credit hour tuition and estimated student budgets.

View more information on the cost to attend SCC:

Tuition & Costs

You can pay using Flywire, Western Union/Convera, or with US dollars. View international payment details:

Ways to pay

Ability to pay

Students must be able to document that they have adequate financial resources to support them while a student at Southeastern Community College. 

You will be required to submit:

  • Declaration of Finances (included in your packet)


  • Affidavit of Support if your parent/sponsor is U.S. Citizen, completed and signed by parent or sponsor. 

Acceptable Financial Documents to support Declaration of Finances or Affidavit of Support include:

  • Letter or bank statement, within one month of student application packet, on official bank letterhead, in English or officially translated into English, showing sufficient funds for at least one year of study, at SCC. 
  • Notarized, signed, sponsorship letter from individual or organization sponsoring student if sponsor is someone other than parents.

International students must pay the International tuition and fees rate. There may be additional expenses (supplies, equipment, lab fees) for students enrolled in certain programs or courses.​

How do I get a student visa?

For information about obtaining a student visa, contact our International Program Office at

Once you receive your I-20, you will need to pay the SEVIS fee. SEVIS is a computer system used to track international students studying in the United States. You will also need to schedule your visa interview with the US Embassy.

Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress and full-time enrollment status (minimum 12 credits) in order to retain an eligible student visa. Full-time enrollment is required for Fall and Spring Semesters, not Summer.

Courses must be on campus, face-to-face instruction with the exception of one online class as part of the full-time requirement. 

Find information for how to apply for an international student visa.

Is there an English language requirement?

All students whose native language is NOT English must provide official evidence of English language proficiency before class registration. 

This is done by taking and passing the Accuplacer ESL, TOEFL or EIKEN language assessment tests.  

Students can take the Accuplacer ESL through the SCC testing centers for free.

How can I find out more info about Burlington?

Burlington is located on the banks of the world-famous Mississippi River, in the southeast corner of Iowa.

Our landscape is full of rolling hills, valleys, prairies, rivers, with plenty of rich farmland. Iowa feeds the world!

We experience four very distinct seasons. Summer  (June - August) average high temperature is  87F. Winter  (December - March) average low temperature is 27F.

Learn more about the Burlington area. 

Request information

SCC has a full-time international student advisor to answer all your questions and guide you through the process of becoming a student. Complete the form below.

Request information

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where is the closest airport?

We recommend you fly into Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in Chicago, Illinois  or Lambert International Airport (STL) in St. Louis, Missouri.

From these two airports you can take a flight on Southern Airways into Southeast Iowa Regional Airport (BRL) in Burlington, Iowa.

When can I arrive on campus?

Students can move into student housing the weekend before classes start. If you are participating in a sport, check with your coach on move-in dates for your team.

Can I work to earn money while at SCC?

International students (holders of valid F-1 visas) are only allowed to work on campus. SCC has a very limited number of on-campus jobs.

Talk to our International Specialist about possible on-campus job opportunities for international students and how to apply.

Do I need to have health insurance? How do I get it?

Health insurance is not mandatory for international students but is strongly recommended. Check with your current health insurance provider in your home country to see if your policy covers you while you are in the United States and how you will need to file claims.

Many times, students will have to pay for medical expenses out-of-pocket in the U.S. and then submit the claim to your insurance company for reimbursement. Some medical offices and hospitals will not file with international companies. 

SCC partners with a local insurance agency to offer a health insurance plan to international students that is accepted by all area doctors and hospitals. Ask our international programs specialist for details.


Why SCC?

Student glazing a ceramic pot
Get a Great Education

SCC offer dozens of programs in all sorts of fields of study. Choose a specialized degree or prepare to transfer to earn a 4-year degree.

What to study
International students with a pennant
Make Good Friends

With engaging student organizations, fun campus events, and nationally-recognized athletics, the Blackhawk life offers something for everyone.

What to do
Student getting help from a staffer
Be Successful in College

Take advantage of our free academic support services  so you can be successful at college.

How to succeed