Federal and state grants generally do not have to be repaid.

Grants represent one of the most beneficial types of financial aid. However, that doesn't mean it's free money. Students who fail to fulfill obligations of the grant may have to repay a grant they received.

Grants can come from the federal government, the State of Iowa, your college, or a private or nonprofit organization.

Do your research, apply for any grants you might be eligible for, and be sure to meet application deadlines!

Common Grants SCC Students Receive

To qualify for these grants, start by completing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form.

Federal Pell Grant

A grant awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances.

Pell Grant Eligibility

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG funds are limited and awarded to the highest-need students based on the date the FAFSA was completed and do not need to be repaid, except under certain circumstances. You must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your financial need.

More about the FSEOG

State of Iowa Grants

Iowa state aid requires you to file the FAFSA as well as complete the Iowa Financial Aid Application. Scholarships and grants have various application deadlines. Visit the Iowa Department of Education website for complete information. SCC suggests a priority date for completion of both the FAFSA and Iowa Financial Aid Application as April 1 to ensure you meet early deadlines, but must be completed no later than July 1.

view iowa grants

Contact Us

West Burlington Campus Financial Aid
(319) 208-5014
(319) 208-5013

Keokuk Campus Financial Aid
(319) 313-1931
(319) 313-1922