There are generally four types of student loans you'll find at SCC:

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loan
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan
  • Federal PLUS (Parent) Loan
  • Private loan

The types of loans available to students vary and so you need to carefully read and understand all required loan disclosures prior to authorizing any type of student loan. In addition, it is also important to understand your personal budget to ensure that taking out loans is your best option.

Types of Student Loans

Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loan

SCC will automatically offer the student a Federal Direct Student Loan on his or her financial aid offer if he or she is eligible. This offer does not represent a "finalized" student loan. A student must complete the proper application documents prior to obtaining a student loan. These documents are accessed through the online Self-Service module in Hawknet. When you have accepted your loan(s), the Master Promissory Note (MPN), and the entrance counseling, your loan will be processed. Under federal regulation, student loans must be divided in two disbursements over the period of the loan.

If your loan is approved, and you are currently enrolled at least half-time, attending class, and maintaining satisfactory progress, the loan funds will be available to apply directly to tuition and book charges. Any remaining balance after tuition and book charges have been paid will be mailed directly to the student the third week of the term. If you are a first time borrower, the balance funds will not be mailed until at least 30 days into the term per federal regulation.

Of note: the maximum subsidized Federal Direct Loan is $3500 per academic year for freshmen and $4500 for sophomores. Repayment of the Federal Direct Loan generally begins six months after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but will vary by student.

Federal PLUS (Parent) Loan

This loan program is available to the parents of dependent students. The maximum PLUS loan amount is based on the student's cost of attendance and other financial aid received. Parents must generally begin repayment within 60 days after the final loan disbursement. To apply for a PLUS (Parent) loan, parents should visit, sign in with their FSA ID, and access the Parent Borrowers section of the website. The PLUS Loan Request and Master Promissory Note must be completed. If further information is needed, you will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office.

Private loan

Private loans are offered by private lenders and there are no federal forms to complete at SCC. The maximum private loan amount that can be certified at SCC is determined according to the following formula: Direct Costs at SCC + Books – Financial Assistance = Private Loan Amount. Amounts in excess of institutional costs and within the student's cost of attendance may be approved by the Financial Aid Director on a case-by-case basis. SCC does not provide names of lenders for students and directs students to find their own lender if wanting to pursue a private loan.


About Loans and Borrowing

Student loans represent an obligation to repay the amount borrowed plus interest. Know what you're getting into before you borrow.


Remember, you're not alone during loan repayment.

There are many people on your side during loan repayment including your loan servicer and SCC. If you have questions about how much you should pay, or where you should send your payment, please contact your loan servicer as soon as possible. If you are not sure who your loan servicer is, call the Financial Aid Office at SCC.


I need to start repaying my student loans. How can I find out how much I owe?

Your loan servicer handles your monthly payments and sends communications to keep you up-to-date on your loans. They are there to help. Log in to your account with your FSA ID to view loan details including loan amounts, interest rates, and loan servicer at

Contact Us

West Burlington Campus Financial Aid
(319) 208-5014
(319) 208-5013

Keokuk Campus Financial Aid
(319) 313-1931
(319) 313-1922