Tips for Parents

Congrats! Your student is (almost) in college. Now what?

Understanding and choosing a college can feel overwhelming for you and your student. Get answers to your questions and learn how you can support your student so they're successful in college.

student and financial aid counselor
Financial Aid

Even though SCC is the most affordable place to get a college education, you can reduce your cost even more. Learn more about aid such as grants, scholarships, loans, and more.

Learn more
students working together in tutoring center
Student Support

College is very different than high school. SCC provides all sorts of support services to help our students succeed and accomplish their educational goals.

Learn more
two happy SCC students
Jump Start

Take college classes while your in high school! It's a great way to keep your student engaged in learning and for you to slash the cost of college.

Learn  more

Frequently asked questions

How do I schedule a visit?

SCC hosts special visit days for students and families throughout the year. We also offer personalized visits tailored just for your student.

You can even take a virtual tour from wherever you are.

Visit SCC

What does it cost and how do I pay?

SCC is one of the most economical colleges in Iowa. Beyond our already-low tuition, financial aid is available in the form of scholarships, loans, grants, and federal work-study. Payment arrangements must be made prior to registration.

Will SCC courses credits transfer?

Southeastern Community College is a great place to start your education. If you're planning on earning a bachelor's degree, you can take your general education requirement classes at SCC before transferring to a four-year college or university. (Usually, this will mean earning your Associate of Arts degree at Southeastern before transferring. SCC also has several transfer agreements for many of our Associate of Science and Associate in Applied Science career programs.)

What help is available to my student after they enroll?

Numerous services are available to help students once they arrive on campus. Free tutoring and accommodations for students with special needs are available through the Success Center.

Technology and technology support are available on all campuses. Computer labs are available Monday through Friday at all campuses and on Saturday mornings at the West Burlington campus.

What if my student doesn't know exactly what they want to do?

SCC offers more than 30 career programs and college transfer options. Our Career Resources page provides tools for students to discover their skills and passions. These tools help them see what kind of classes they need to take to get there. Admissions Specialists can also help.

What do students need to do prior to starting classes at SCC?

Students will need to complete a Placement Test if they have not taken the ACT previously, schedule to attend an orientation and set up an appointment with an Admissions Specialist to plan a schedule. Learn more about the pre-registration process.

What services are available to help students find jobs?

SCC's Career Resources page includes career exploration and job outlook information by career and field of study. We also maintain a student job bank for recruiters from businesses, industries, and professions to share job openings with SCC. Students can also get help with job-seeking strategies, resume writing and job interview preparation. Current job listings are posted on the Placement Bulletin Boards. Visit Career Resources to learn more.

What is FERPA and how do I access my student's records?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law that protects the privacy of student records. SCC is bound by law to restrict private student information from anyone without the student's written consent. 

If your student participates in Jump Start classes they are the sole owners of their academic record. Even if your student is a minor, SCC personnel can’t disclose certain information to anyone other than the student, including parents.

Students may choose to grant a third party access (parents or family) to records by completing a Student Consent form (Parental Access form) available at the Student Support Center.

Can't find your question?

If you're looking for more information, contact anyone on our Admissions Team or contact us below.

Contact Us

West Burlington Campus Admissions
Call: (319) 208-5155
Text: (319) 250-7144

Keokuk Campus Admissions
Call: (319) 313-1923
Text: (319) 220-3266

Schedule an Appointment