Apply for Aid
Applying for financial aid is overwhelming but SCC's Financial Aid Office makes it a much easier process.
Use this step-by-step guide, and the support of SCC's Financial Aid Office, to assist with your journey through the financial aid application.
1. The fastest way to determine your financial aid eligibility is to apply online at the FAFSA website studentaid.gov. If you do not have internet access, stop by the SCC Financial Aid Office at we'll point you in the right direction.
Would you rather file a paper version of the FAFSA? You may download a paper version here: studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/
ATTENTION STUDENTS! Be sure that you list SCC's school code 004603 on the school section of the application.
2. In about a week, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor either by paper or electronic format (to your e-mail address). This document may be a bit difficult to read and understand. If you have questions concerning your SAR, please don't hesitate to contact us.
3. Soon after you receive the SAR from the Department of Education, SCC will receive your financial aid application from the Department of Education. Once SCC receives your information, you will receive a letter from SCC indicating what documents we will need you to complete in order to finish your financial aid file. Be sure to not overlook this documentation when we mail it to you.
4. It is very important that you promptly respond to the letter mailed to you by SCC by providing any required documents and forms (as indicated in the letter). Some financial aid applications are selected by the federal processor for verification. Students who are selected for verification must provide their federal tax transcript or signed copy of tax return (or complete the IRS Data Request while completing the FAFSA), and other requested documents, to be considered for financial assistance. Your financial aid will not be awarded until all the required documents have been provided to SCC. Note: These documents cannot be accepted via email.
5. Once all documents and forms have been provided to SCC, within a period of about a week you will receive notification via student e-mail (HawkNet) that your financial aid offer is ready to be viewed and accepted in Self-Service. This marks the end of the application process.
Please note that preference in awarding certain grants is given to those students who have documented financial need on file in the Financial Aid Office (based on completing the process above) by order of file completion (how early you complete the process above)...SO APPLY EARLY!