Scholarships are an excellent resource for reducing tuition costs. Save your time and money with SCC's scholarship opportunities.
Every student should apply for scholarships.
With a little research you will find that there are scholarship opportunities for just about every walk of life. But where do you begin? To help you in your search, SCC has gathered a list of scholarship resources.
Keep in mind that a little preparation can go a long way when it comes to applying for (and receiving) scholarships. Many scholarships require similar types of applications and supporting materials, such as:
- A completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- An essay describing your experiences, achievements, and why you should be considered for the scholarship.
- A list of references or reference letters, complete with contact information.
- Copies of your high school transcript & any past college transcripts.
When completing scholarship applications, remember to fill out as much information as you can and to complete the application as accurately as possible. Click here for additional tips on finding and applying for scholarships.
SCCAA & Foundation scholarships
While there are literally hundreds of thousands of scholarships available to all college students nationwide, the SCC Alumni Association and Foundation award over $200,000 in scholarships to hundreds of SCC students every year. It's a scholarship application just for SCC students!
The SCC Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability.
Periodically, SCC's Financial Aid Office is notified of scholarships offered through third party donors such as civic organizations, churches, professional groups, and social clubs. The number of scholarships located on the reference guide varies greatly depending on the time of year. Check back often to ensure you're informed of the most recent scholarships additions.
Please keep in mind that the deadlines and eligibility requirements for each scholarship are not determined by SCC. Students will not be allowed to utilize scholarship funds to pay for tuition and books until the funds have been delivered to SCC by the scholarship donor. Simply providing an award notification to SCC is not enough; the scholarship funds must also be provided.
Online Scholarship Databases
While we know of a lot of scholarships that are available to SCC students, by no means do we know about all of them. Below are links to sites that focus exclusively on helping students find and apply for scholarships. Often, the scholarship databases will return scholarship information tailored to you. These websites are free scholarship databases. Remember that no scholarship application should ask you for your social security number. Rule of thumb: if you're not comfortable sharing certain information about yourself, don't do it.
- FastWeb is the most complete source of local scholarships, national scholarships and college-specific scholarships.
- Scholarships.com provides instant and unlimited free access to an extensive list of college scholarship and grant opportunities customized just for you.
- www.studentscholarships.org allows registered users to be matched with Scholarships, Bursaries, and Grants, that fit their profile. To access their Free Scholarship Database, simply create your own profile.
- College Board's scholarship search will take answers you give in a brief questionnaire and use them to find scholarship opportunities. College Board has a database of more than 2,300 sources of college funding, totaling nearly $3 billion in available aid.
- IHaveaPlanIowa lets you search for scholarships, careers and colleges. The Scholarship Finder has several questions that will connect you to a personalized list of scholarships and financial aid. You can save your list in an online account.
- ICAN's database of scholarships, specifically for Iowa students is compiled by the experts at Iowa College Access Network. You may search in several categories and subcategories to find scholarship opportunities for Iowa students like you.
Need help? Contact us.
Rebecca S. Rump
P.O. Box 180
P.O. Box 180