Tips for Parents

What does it cost and how do I pay for it?
SCC is one of the most economical colleges in Iowa. Beyond our already-low tuition, financial aid is available in the form of scholarships, loans, grants, and federal work-study. Payment arrangements must be made prior to registration.

Will my courses transfer?
Southeastern Community College is a great place to start your education. If you're planning on earning a bachelor's degree, you can take your general education requirement classes at SCC before transferring to a four-year college or university. (Usually, this will mean earning your Associate of Arts degree at Southeastern before transferring. SCC also has several transfer agreements for many of our Associate of Science and Associate in Applied Science career programs.)

What help is available to my student after they enroll?
Numerous services are available to help students once they arrive on campus. Free tutoring and accommodations for students with special needs are available through the Success Center.

Technology and technology support are available on all campuses. Computer labs are available Monday through Friday at all campuses and on Saturday mornings at the West Burlington campus. 

What if my student doesn't know exactly what they want to do?
SCC offers more than 30 career programs and college transfer options. Our Career Resources page provides tools for students to discover their skills and passions. These tools help them see what kind of classes they need to take to get there. Admissions Specialists can also help.

What do students need to do prior to starting classes at SCC?
Students will need to complete a Placement Test if they have not taken the ACT previously, schedule to attend an orientation and set up an appointment with an Admissions Specialist to plan a schedule. Learn more about the pre-registration process.

What if my student wants to start classes while in high school?
Students are encouraged to take college classes while in high school through SCC's Jump Start program. Simply complete an application for Jump Start and make arrangements to have a final high school transcript sent to SCC.

What services are available to help students find jobs?
SCC's Career Resources page includes career exploration and job outlook information by career and field of study. We also maintain a student job bank for recruiters from businesses, industries, and professions to share job openings with SCC. Students can also get help with job-seeking strategies, resume writing and job interview preparation. Current job listings are posted on the Placement Bulletin Boards. Visit Career Resources to learn more.

What is FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) and what does it mean for parents?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law that protects the privacy of student records. SCC is bound by law to restrict private student information from anyone without the student's written consent. Students may waive this right by completing a form in the Student Support Center.
A Parental Access Form may be completed and submitted as well.

If you're looking for more information, contact anyone on our Admissions Team.