Entrance Counseling

Federal regulations require that a student must complete Entrance Counseling prior to receiving a federal student loan.

You must complete the following steps in order to meet the "Entrance Counseling" requirement at SCC.

1.  Watch the Cautionary Tales of the Student Debt Crisis video (below) produced by Virginia Blackburn at Iowa State University.
2.  When you have completed the video, click on the link on the bottom of this page to continue.
3.  On the next webpage you will be introduced to the Entrance Counseling tutorial provided by The U.S. Department of Education. When you've completed this tutorial (and have received your confirmation) you're done with Entrance Counseling!   

The U.S. Department of Education requires all student borrowers conduct entrance counseling before the first loan disbursement is released to the borrower. Once you have successfully completed the session, your results will be sent to the Southeastern Community College Financial Aid Office.

Before you begin this process, make sure that you have been awarded a federal student loan by the Southeastern Community College Financial Aid Office. You can verify that you are eligible for a federal student loan by reviewing your Award Letter. Your Award Letter is mailed to you by the Financial Aid Office, and contains the amount of federal loans you qualify for. If you have not received an Award Letter from SCC, do not complete this process.

Students will also need to do the following to complete their loan application.

  • Complete the Loan Authorization Form. The Loan Authorization form is completed during our online student loan process.
  • Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The MPN is completed during our online student loan process.

Students can contact the Office of Financial Aid at Southeastern Community College with any questions at (319) 208-5000.

The Higher Education Opportunity Act, which was signed into law August 14, 2008, requires that, in addition to the information provided to you during the entrance counseling, you also understand the following terms and conditions of your student loans.

Note:There is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. To learn more, please click here.

  • I understand that my financial aid awards may be adjusted if I receive additional assistance from any other source, or if I provide new or conflicting eligibility information.
  • Interest accrues on an unsubsidized Stafford loan or PLUS loan and is capitalized during periods when the interest is not paid by either myself or the federal government. If I allow it to be capitalized, I will be charged interest on top of interest when my loans enter repayment. It is my option to pay interest while I am in school on an unsubsidized Stafford loan.
  • I understand that half-time enrollment at Southeastern Community College is six credits, regardless of the semester. If my enrollment status drops to less than half time (6 credits), I no longer qualify for in-school deferment of my loan payments, and I either begin my grace period or my loans enter repayment. During my grace period, I am not required to make payments, although unsubsidized interest will continue to accrue.
  • I've been advised of the importance of contacting the Office of Financial Aid and my adviser at SCC if I withdraw prior to completing my program of study so that the institution can provide exit counseling, including information regarding the borrower's repayment options and possible loan consolidation.
  • If I have any questions about my borrower's rights and responsibilities or the terms and conditions of the loan, I can contact the SCC Office of Financial Aid, visit the NSLDS website (www.nslds.ed.gov), or contact the lending institution/guaranty agency for my loans.

By completing the online counseling, you acknowledge that you have received student loan entrance counseling and have read and understand all the information provided above.

You're not done yet!
On the following page you will need to "Sign In" by selecting the link on the left of the page.  After you have signed in, you must select the link titled "Complete Counseling."  After you have selected this link, you will see the link for "Entrance Counseling."  You will need your federal PIN number in order to sign in.

Do not click on "Financial Awareness Counseling". This is not the same as "Entrance Counseling".

Blackhawk Profile

Carl Snipes

Carl Snipes | Chemistry instructor

I started at a community college before earning a degree in Chemical Engineering, so I know what it takes to succeed.

Students who do well in my classes are very prepared the move on to four-year...More ›

Learn More ›

Schedule a Visit

Visit us

Come see us!

Wondering if SCC is right for you? Check out our campus and learn more about life at SCC.
Schedule a Visit ›

Request Information

request info

Got questions?

Want to know more about our programs or transfer options? Ask us. Or give us a call at (319) 208-5000.

Get Information ›