Housing FAQs

Good to know.

Browse some of our more frequently asked questions about living on campus.


How do I pay for my room and meal plan?
Room and meal plan payments are due at the beginning of each semester. Current plans and pricing are available on the College website. Direct your questions about payments (including installment payments) to the SCC Business Office at (319) 208-5041.

Is there a deposit?
Yes, there is a $300 deposit which includes a $50 processing fee. The remaining $250 will be refunded at the end of the contract period pending a damage inspection. The Resident Assistants or Resident Life Coordinator will check each student out of their room.

Room Info

What is furnished in my room?
Rooms are furnished with an extra-long twin bed with mattress (size 36" X 80"), bed frame that elevates to loft height if desired, armoire, desk, chair, and window coverings for each resident. All college owned furniture must stay in the room.

What size are the mattresses?
All residence halls have twin extra-long mattresses (36″x80″).

Are the rooms air-conditioned?

Can student beds be lofted?
Yes. The furniture provided does allow for the possibility of lofting and bunking if students choose. Bed rails are available for students to check out to put on their beds if their bed is lofted or if they are the top bunk.

Appliances & furnishings

What items should I bring?

  • Fused/Surged protected outlet strips, NO extension cords
  • Desk Lamp
  • Clothes
  • School Supplies
  • Computer
  • Cell Phone
  • TV
  • Headphones
  • Non-marking, non-permanent wall fasteners (3M Command strips)
  • Towels, blankets, pillows, extra-long twin sheets (36"x80")
  • Laundry basket, soap
  • Personal items, first-aid kit
  • Sewing kit
  • Flashlight
  • Items with auto shut off including instant pot, crockpot, and toaster.
  • Single-serve coffee/hot beverage appliances with auto shut off and enclosed heating element (Keurig or similar brand)

What is NOT allowed?

  • Extension cords, unless it is a surged protected strip
  • Open flame devices
  • Items without auto shut off including toasters, fryers, hot plates, & crockpots.
  • Hot pots
  • Firearms

Can I bring a small kitchen appliance?
Most small kitchen appliances (coffee maker, microwave, mini-fridge) are allowed. Please keep in mind that for your safety and the safety of others, all electrical appliances should be in good condition and UL approved. Contact the Residence Life Coordinator if you aren’t sure if your appliance is allowed.

Are halogen lamps permitted?
Halogen lamps are considered a fire hazard and are not allowed in the residence halls. For the same reason, students are not allowed to have lit candles in their rooms.
Are microwaves or refrigerators permitted?
You may bring your own. Note that each residence hall has a microwave for student use. Only one refrigerator, maximum size of 4.6 cubic feet, allowed. 


Are students allowed to have pets?
No (unless a service animal for a handicap is pre-approved)

Is smoking permitted?
Smoking or any form of tobacco is prohibited on school property as determined by Iowa law.

What is the rule on alcohol and drugs? [controlled substances?]
Possessing, distributing or consuming illicit drugs and alcoholic beverages is prohibited on campus. 


What if I need maintenance to fix something in my room?
Let your Residence Assistant or Residence Life Coordinator know immediately, and they will coordinate the needed repair.

Can students nail things to the walls?
Students may not do anything that causes damage to the walls, ceilings or floors. Non-marking, removable, adhesive-backed hooks may be used to temporarily attach items. Any damage to the room will be charged to residents at the end of the contract period. TV’s may be hung with the approval of the RA or Residence Life Coordinator.


Where do students get their mail?
Each student is assigned a personal mailbox. Students may pick up packages and mail at a central mail room. Packages are not delivered to the individual residence facilities. Mail should be addresses with the student’s first and last name, and street address 1500 West Agency Road, Student Housing, West Burlington, IA 52655.

Are newspapers available?
The Wall Street Journal, The Hawk Eye, Des Moines Register, USA Today and other periodicals are available in the Library.

Do rooms have internet access, cable television or landline phone service?
All rooms are equipped for immediate wireless network access. A basic cable television connection is provided in the living room of each suite. TVs in the Student Commons also feature basic cable channels. Land line phone service is available on each floor and the Student Commons for local and 911 calls.

Is there a laundry or linen service?
No linen service is provided. Each hall has coin operated laundry facilities available for student use

What recreational equipment is available for my use?
All resident students have access to the Student Commons which includes large screen TV’s and table games for free as part of their housing agreement. The Athletic & Performance Center located across the street at Great River Medical Center is a full-service athletic and fitness facility that features exercise machines, free weights, indoor running track, rock climbing wall, and a full schedule of exercise and fitness classes. Membership costs $100 per semester, billed through SCC.

The Blackhawk Rec Center is available for all students during open hours.

Where do I park my car?
Parking is available is specific areas next to the residence halls.

Are there areas where I can do quiet study in my residence hall?
Yes, all halls have a study area.

What kind of activities and programs are offered in the residence halls?
During the course of the academic year, students will have the opportunity to participate in a number of programs and activities. There are social, recreational, cultural, and educational programs covering current events and social issues. Intramural sports, movies, dances, lectures, forums, and discussion groups are just a few of the activities available to students. In addition, the Student Resident Hall Council plans and coordinates activities for all resident students.

I brought stuff that won’t fit in my room. Is storage available?


Are there co-ed floors and halls?
All buildings are co-ed.

When will I receive my room assignment?
Before being assigned a room, students must submit a completed application and deposit. They must also return a signed housing contract and make their first installment payment by June 15.

Students who successfully complete these steps will receive their housing assignment by the first week of August.

Subsequent assignments will occur throughout the rest of the summer.

Is it possible to request a particular hall or roommate?
Yes. This is done during the application process. You and your roommate must both request each other.

Why didn't I get my hall, room, or roommate requested?
Room assignments are made in the order of when students complete the process (application, deposit, contract, first installment). The earlier you complete these steps, the greater your chances for receiving your first preference. However, even if two students want to live together, if they do not complete the application process in the same time frame, a roommate pairing cannot be guaranteed.

We will do our best to honor roommate requests, but remember that requests must be mutual. During the school year, you may make transfers usually 10 days after move-in pending availabilities. Talk to the Residence Life Coordinator for options.


Is there a meal plan, and is it required?
Yes and yes.

Where do I eat and when?
The Blackhawk Café is located on campus in Building 400. The hours of operation are:
Monday – Friday
Breakfast: 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Continental Breakfast: 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Dinner: 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday
Brunch: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Dinner: 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

What if I have food allergies or special dietary needs?
Notify dining services staff and they will work with you to make sure your needs are met.

Other important info

What kind of supervision is provided?
SCC employs two live-in Resident Assistants (RA) and a Resident Life Coordinator to provide supervision of the residence halls 24 hours a day when the facilities are open to students. At least one staff member is onsite at all times.

When students leave for breaks, do they need to move out their belongings or turn their keys?
Students will not be required to remove their belongings or turn in their key for breaks during the academic year. However, rooms must be vacated during summer break even if you plan to return in the fall.

When will the residence halls open before each semester?
The residence halls open for returning students on the weekend prior to start of the term.

What if I need to arrive early?
If you need to arrive prior to the fall or spring semester check-in date, please check with the Resident Life Coordinator at (319) 208-5126.

When are the residence halls locked?
The main entrance to each facility and the elevators are locked at all times. Students will have access to the main entrance and the Student Commons via a magnetic key card.

Can students access to their room during winter and spring break?
Students cannot access residence halls during college breaks or other posted closed times unless prior arrangements are made with the Residence Life Coordinator.

What if I have other questions... what should I do?
Contact the Resident Life Coordinator, John at jmcvey@scciowa.edu or call (319) 208-5126 during regular college hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Contact Us

John McVey
Residence Life Coordinator
Call: (319) 208-5272
Email: jmcvey@scciowa.edu