SCC Press Release

Free Help Available for College Financial Aid

Iowa students and families can get free assistance with forms required for federal financial aid at Iowa College Goal Sunday, which is actually held on Saturday, Feb. 20, at SCC’s West Burlington campus.

Volunteers for Iowa College Goal SundaySM will help students and their families fill out and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as part of a national program that helps students qualify for federal financial aid. The FAFSA, which is available in free paper and electronic forms from the U.S. Department of Education, is the first step in the qualification process.

“This program is great for anyone who has questions or wants free help with the FAFSA,” said Juan Garcia, executive director of the Iowa College Access Network (ICAN) and state coordinator of the 2010 Iowa College Goal Sunday. “It’s especially helpful for students who are low-income or are in the first generation of their families to attend college, or both.”

This year’s event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at SCC’s West Burlington campus, 1500 West Agency Road, West Burlington, IA in Room 192 on Saturday, Feb. 20. Students or parents may attend individually, but it’s best if the student and at least one parent or guardian come together. Certain paperwork is required to fill out the forms.

For more information, please visit the Iowa College Goal Sunday Web site, Details are also available from ICAN at (877) 272-4692 or

Iowa College Goal Sunday is part of the national College Goal Sunday program, currently held in 37 states and funded by grants from Lumina Foundation for Education. A number of Iowa organizations have partnered to plan and present Iowa College Goal Sunday.

To complete the FAFSA, families should bring, for both the student and parent, the following:

  • Social Security number, driver’s license number and date of birth
  • Most recent federal and state tax returns
  • W-2 forms or other records of income earned last year
  • Current bank statements and investment records
  • Records of untaxed income received last year
  • 2009 business and farm records
  • Alien registration numbers if not a U.S. citizen

Students and parents may also register in advance for federal personal identification numbers (PINs) to electronically sign the forms and make future changes. To request a PIN, visit

To subscribe to SCC’s RSS news feed or to learn more about Southeastern Community College, visit:



Back to top