Accessibility Services

The Accessibility Services Office is your go-to for disability-related information and support.

The Accessibility Services Office assist students who have disabilities to  make the most of their college experience. We advocate for improved services, equipment, and accessibility on campus for all students.

A person with a disability may apply for and receive accommodations through the Accessibility Services Office. Students start the request process by completing an Intake/Orientation meeting with the Accessibility Services staff.  

Students then submit intake forms along with disability documentation to the Accessibility Services staff before academic accommodations can be assigned.

What is a disability?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a person with a disability as a person who:

  1. has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities;
  2. has a record of such an impairment; or
  3. is regarded as having such impairment
How do I know if I have a disability?

If you are unsure that you have a disability, but would like to learn more, contact for more information or to schedule an appointment.

What are accommodations and who is eligible?

Accommodations will vary from person to person based on how their disability affects them. Reasonable accommodations are modifications or adjustments to the tasks, environment, or to the way things are usually done that enable individuals with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to participate in an academic program.

What is documentation and why is it needed?

The Accessibility Services Office considers documentation as a written, qualified professional evaluation, which identifies a disability/disabilities that substantially limit a major life area. The documentation should identify the disability/disabilities, its effects on learning and academic performance, and the types of accommodations recommended.  The Accessibility Services staff will consider documentation in written format explaining past accommodations received in similar situations such as Individual Education Program (IEP), Summary of Performance plans (SOP) or 504 Plans.  In cases where the documentation does not support the requested accommodation(s), the Accessibility Services staff may request further substantiating documentation.

When do my accommodations go in effect?

Accommodations are effective when you present each instructor with an accommodation letter. Accommodations are not retroactive; if you wait to give the letters to your instructors, be aware that you cannot go back and re-take exams.

Do I need to reapply for services each semester?

No. Once you apply, your information will remain in your Accessibility Services file for five years after you last receive services from the Accessibility Services Office. You will need to submit your class schedule each semester for new academic accommodation letters to provide to your instructors.

Faculty consultation

The Accessibility Services staff work with faculty to facilitate classroom and testing accommodations. Faculty members are encouraged to modify rather than waive specific requirements, so that all students, as much as possible, get the same academic experiences.  Collaboration across the college can ensure commitment to the success of students with disabilities and can assist  professionals and faculty members to better meet the needs of students with disabilities, and help foster an environment conducive to academic success.

Types of accommodations and assistance

Auxiliary aids

Interpreters, readers, and assisted technology are examples of aids some students with disabilities may need.

Recorded textbooks and other alternative formats

The accessibility coordinator can assist students who have vision, learning, or physical disabilities with ordering eText or alternative text books. It is important for students to register for classes at the earliest possible time and to contact faculty regarding reading assignments immediately after registering.

Relationship with community services

The accessibility coordinator maintains a close working relationship with community agencies regarding individual concerns.

Accessibility handbook and forms

Accessibility Services Student Intake Form

Accessibility Manual

Accommodations at College Events Policy

Application for Accommodations in SCC Housing

Assistance Animal Policy and Agreement in SCC Housing

Housing Accommodations Appeal-Grievance Form


Angela Mickelson

Angela Mickelson


Extension: 5167

Katelyn Nack

Katelyn Nack

Accessibility Services Specialist

Extension: 5177